6 Fascinating Foot Facts
People tend to take their feet for granted, despite the incredible job they do getting you from one place to another.
If you are neglecting the health of your feet, it can lead to all sorts of problems, so here is a list of 6 amazing reasons to appreciate and take better care of your feet.
- You can put enough miles on your feet in your life to walk around the earth five times, with the average healthy person accumulating nearly five miles every day.
- Nearly a quarter of all the bones in your body are located in your feet and ankles. There are 26 bones in each foot, 33 separate joints, and more than 100 tendons, ligaments, and muscles.
- The world record for the largest feet is held by Orlando Hernandez of Venezuela, whose feet measure an amazing 16 inches in length. That’s a size 26 in the US.
- Your feet will often be the first place that signs of other illnesses show up. Numbness and tingling in your feet can be an early sign of diabetes, and having a stiff big toe may be an early sign of arthritis or a symptom of gout.
- Hot weather actually causes your toenails to grow faster, and you are also more susceptible tofungal toenail and bacterial infections of the feet during the warmer months.
- Over ninety percent of all people will experience an injury or illness that affects their feet or ankles at some point in their lives.
Taking good care of your feet will help them perform at their best throughout your life. Having regular appointments with your foot doctor is essential to proper foot care. At E.J. Nemet Podiatry in Twinsburg, E.J. Nemet, DPM, treats a variety of foot and ankle conditions, including sports injuries, pediatric foot problems, diabetic foot complications, nerve disorders, and toenail and skin conditions. With advanced technologies and a dedicated staff, Dr. Nemet provides expert and compassionate care to patients in the Twinsburg and Beachwood areas. To contact us or to schedule an appointment, please call (234) 212-9940.