Diabetic Patients Need to Take Good Care of Their Feet
Peripheral nerve damage often affects people diagnosed with diabetes and the concomitant loss of feeling in the feet can cause cuts and other damage to go unnoticed since there is little or no pain from injuries. Diabetic patients often have circulation problems as well that can decrease your ability to ward off infections so taking good care of your feet is essential to avoid ulcers and possible amputations.
Some important foot care tips for patients with diabetes include the following:
● Trim your toenails properly— Try to trim your toenails straight across to help avoid an ingrown toenail from developing. Better yet, have your toenails trimmed at your foot doctor’s office to be sure you do not cut your skin and cause an infection.
● Wear supportive and comfortable shoes with orthotics—Specially made and fitted diabetic footwear will provide room for custom orthotic inserts and balance braces that can help with wound healing and to prevent falls.
● Foot inspection—Every day look carefully at your feet for cuts, blisters, ingrown toenails, etc... Treat problems rapidly to help avoid bacterial or fungal infections. Do not forget to look at the bottoms. Use a mirror to make it easier.
● Clean and dry your feet regularly—Be sure to thoroughly wash your feet at least once daily with a mild soap. Dry carefully and do not forget to dry between your toes since excess moisture can contribute to the development of infections.
● Avoid tobacco—Using tobacco products causes circulation problems that can decrease the healing response and contribute to numbness and tingling in your extremities.
If you are experiencing foot problems associated with diabetes, make regular visits to your foot doctor to help avoid major complications. At E.J. Nemet Podiatry in Twinsburg, E.J. Nemet, DPM, treats a variety of foot and ankle conditions, including sports injuries, pediatric foot problems, diabetic foot complications, nerve disorders, and toenail and skin conditions. With advanced technologies and a dedicated staff, Dr. Nemet provides expert and compassionate care to patients in the Twinsburg and Beachwood areas. To contact us or to schedule an appointment, please call (234) 212-9940.